|A very big Thank you to Darina who has not only created these cute Place-mats, but also shared her Instructions, and given us all another idea for using our Large Applique Designs.|
Darina’s Day on the Farm Vinyl Covered Placemat
Finished size 18” x 15” (46cm x 38cm) Or as Desired
- Cut two pieces of fabric, one blue, one green - Measuring 19” x 8” (48cm x 20cm)
- Stitch together through the centre.
- Press seam open.
I have used an iron on backing, called Parlan. I think an iron on vilene would work. Just something to give your fabric a nice stable embroidery area. This stays in place.
Hoop with a tearaway also.
Proceed to embroider whatever design you choose.
I hooped this to the right so I could get the tree or the fence close to the edge. Or just cut your fabric wider and then trim after embroidery.
This is my second try with the fence. Way better placement. I think the farmer left the gate open on the first one. Lol.
My choices for embroidery were from Kreative Kiwi Designs
- Fence Simply Borders – I have done this twice. The centre gap will be covered by your animal.
- Sun Flower from Floral Patches (I only used the flower) - Stitched only the petals and centre of the flower
- Pond Zoo Babies – choose which size suits
- Butterfly Swirly Butterflies
- Tree Digitised by Kim
The choices are endless….have fun and get Kreative.
Once embroidery is complete place your animal of choice and tack down in a few places to hold secure. (You could add your layer of wadding at this stage if desired. I machine stitched around the hedgehogs face only.
- If you are not added vinyl to the top you will need to stitch the animal down more securely
- If you would like to get fancy you could stipple the sky or grass, or both.
- To complete, cut one piece of thin wadding (if not already added), one piece of clear vinyl (the sort you put over to protect your table) and one piece of backing fabric.
- I made my binding with the same backing fabric. Or you could purchase a ready made one.
- Sandwich all the layers together. I used some temp quilt spray to hold the back layer in place. Put the flat table on my sewing machine so it sits well and nice and flat. Only pinned in the four corners within the seam so as not to put holes in the vinyl with the pins.
- Bind in a way you are comfortable with.
I Just think he is adorable!
Happy Sewing Ladies
BONUS BONUS BONUS
Want to make your own Placemat?
We have put together the extra designs Darina used for her Hedgehog Placemat into a free download. The file includes:
Darina didn't stop with just one Placemat - here are a few more!!
View more of Darina's fantastic work on her Sew Nice by Darina Facebook Page
Posted: Tuesday 11 July 2017